scroll down to photos
Creating this web page is something I’ve wanted to do for quite awhile. It contains pictures of some (but not all) of the fun projects that I’ve enjoyed working on from 2001 ’til now.
The first 2 pics (first row, left) are of my S2 during its 2nd engine rebuild project. Since the ’03 XB9R had not arrived in time for the CA trip, I had to whip my butt to make the S2 operational again. After 9 months coping with parts suppliers and services, it all came together 2 weeks before the 3000+ mile trip started! And, I’m happy to say, there were no significant problems during the trip :-) Note: I took many other S2 rebuild photos, but they deserve a place of their own. Someday...
Later in the summer of 2002, it was time for home improvements. I’d always been distressed by the lack of usable storage space under my deck, so I dug out a bunch of dirt, built forms and poured concrete in the underdeck pad project. The 2nd two pics (first row, right) show in-process and done views of the pad and steps. I learned how to finish (and slope) the surfaces so it looks like a professional job.
On to the 2nd row of pics (left side). Bouyed by success with the concrete pad, I decided to take on my biggest project to date--removal of the hill sliding into my backyard + a new retaining wall. And, I wanted the new wall to align with the property line (unlike the old one)! Started in the Spring of 2003 (stopping only after the ground became too hard); restarted and completed in the Spring of 2004. Talk about learning and getting exercise. In this fence project, I did everything--the digging, dirt hauling, concrete work and carpentry, aided considerably by a sweet 10" slide compound miter saw + a heavy duty chopping spade for punching through the sandstone...and oh yeah, plus a sturdy yard cart and a big pile of Nitrile gloves. Learned too many things to mention here...
After the labor intensive fence work, I needed to coast some, so I began what became the cleanout project later in the summer of ’03. Originally, all I wanted was to replace the dryrotted siding near the garage. In the 2nd row of pictures (right side), you can see that (surprise!) my excavation uncovered some plumbing (and how I spliced in the new panels). The finished view is close to how it all looks today. Discovery of the sewer line inspired me to build a cleanout access hatch integrated with the retaining walls. Nothing like a drive-up cleanout to minimize plumber labor costs!
The XLCR project was a labor of love. My brother’s AMF Harley-Davidson had been waiting in my garage since 2001, hoping for a transmission rebuild and anything else needed to make it happy again. I began in earnest in March of ’03, aiming for a 100% functional and 75% cosmetic restoration. As of April ’05, all work is complete except starting it up and operational tuning. The first pic (3rd row, left) shows my fiberglass work on the tailpiece, where it was broken in an accident that had snapped off a turnsignal. 2nd pic is of the repaired and repainted primary cover, old violations to which are another story! The 3rd pic is how the bike looked, a week before I took it out into the sun and started it up :-)
I completed the garage rack project over the Easter ’05 weekend. Who needs more storage space in the garage? Me me me. Too many tools, bike parts and just plain stuff using floor space that could be used for ... another bike! Chris' XLCR in particular. Bolted to the ceiling joists and walls, this is the larger of 2 storage racks built as permanent additions to also withstand earthquakes. All done with used and unused wood, no materials costs!
|The Fisher Concepts rebuilt and dynamically-balanced Buell M2 crankshaft.||My Buell S2, after 9 months of toil, weeks before the BRAG CA Adventure trip started.||In-process view of my under deck excavation and initial concrete work.||The underdeck storage area, completed.|
|The early on hill removal portion of my retaining wall / fence project, as seen from the back of the house.||The retaining wall / fence, close to completion (view is from the driveway).||Buried sewer & water runoff drains and spliced wall panel, after the initial excavation work.||Pretty repainted siding, cleanout access hatch and pressure-treated retaining walls.|
|Tailpiece fiberglass work on my brother’s XLCR. The darker section with the turnsignal mounting hole was missing.||Repainting work on the XLCR’s primary cover. Even squeegied out the wrinkles in the aluminum CR1000 label.||The XLCR restored, ready to run, patiently waiting for a nice sunny day to start it up.||One of the overhead storage racks added to my garage to make room for the XLCR (temporarily of course).|
Some helpful hints to minimize download times and increase your viewing pleasure:
Content last updated April 23, 2005.
|<- validate the HTML for this page|
|<- validate the CSS for this page|